Views on Life & on Equity Investing

Wonder, Wealth & Abundance

How to be full time X OR retire

with 3 comments

You can never be full time at anything. You have to eat, sleep, drink, bathe, rest, interact with others, grocery shop, do productive/non-productive activities, be entertained, laugh etc.


Any breakfast cereal company like slick  motivational speaker selling you the idea of becoming a full time Actor, or full time Speaker or full time Trader/Investor are also eventually going to be eventually disappointing roads.


Whilst I subscribe to the idea of financial independence, which allows you to spend the time of the day the way you want, I don’t subscribe to the fact that freedom comes from:


A profession

A name

A gender

A designation

After X is achieved


In that sense of freedom, it can only come from self-forgetfulness, that is the only way for eternal happiness (you might not be after that I realise it, you might be after a 10 year happiness streak). Damn, people are willing to kill / rape these days for 10 minutes of happiness.


There were people who were happy in the torture camps in Aushwitz, during the world war. That comes from attitude.


Your first duty in life as a human, is to know that you are an eternal Soul, in relationship with everything/everyone and be at peace, there is not second duty that even comes closer, any duty will ever be a very distant #2. Only then can peace reign in the mind and the planet. Not by superficial arrangements of OECD, NATO and the like.


Back to a human level, as I said before, as Ramdeo Aggarwal said, and I agree that you should be in the business of increasing your income. Rest of the compounding wonder will happen and if you save 50% of your monthly income, then in 10-15 years time, your investing would overtake your day job income, assuming investment does grow above 10-20% cagr.  Most of you will make that healthy dose of capital via your professional roles.


Your job is not to see office duty as work (although it can be if the mindset it not right) and meditation as divine, but actually see that everyone in the world has that spark of divine and is in a sense your extended brother/sister.


You should make the best of the situation you are already in. Instead of dreaming of full time hockey, cricket, arts, investing, painting, music or another hobby. You can gradually drift into it, and obviously have the ability to say no to people, organisations, roles that you choose by developing your skill and specialization so that you are in demand, there is no short cut.

Rather than dreaming about the day when you have enough to retire, you should be a) skilled, so as to be in demand b) improve your attitude with people, be thick skinned or ignore people you do not like, by gradually or immediately distancing yourself, c) don’t be a baby, have the ability to take bricks thrown at you to make a foundation out of it, just as you expect the business you buy to have capacity to suffer d) keep the long term goal in mind, e) subjective, but should be comfortable alone for as long as required f) have simple life and high thinking, g) avoid people who show off and satisfied with materialistic way of life. Above all, you should realise that you have infinite potential and do something about it daily.

That way you can travel light, far, at peace and roll the snowball.

How ridiculous would any country look if 90% of men did nothing but stored share certificates in their vaults of listed or unlisted companies. The rest 10% would be industrious about contributing other goods/services than financial instruments.


And the answer to retirement question is just silly. You can never retire from breathing or eating food. And if you don’t move your body, you will be festering with diseases. Get to the heart of the matter and be at peace. Stop trying to be what the Advertisements want you to be.

Any theory in the world that excludes God and one’s own higher Self is just a theory that has appreciation by armchair thinkers, a cola without fizz, a summer without warmth, a cake without icing, a one sided love affair, waiting to be proven wrong, and can be proven wrong by anyone serious enough in their efforts.

Written by amitdipsite

February 8, 2018 at 1:34 am

Posted in Uncategorized

3 Responses

Subscribe to comments with RSS.

  1. Woww.. Thought provoking Amit. Thanks


    February 8, 2018 at 9:03 pm

  2. Could understand and relate to every sentence.. Real Gem. Thanks Amit

    Raman Padmanabhan

    February 9, 2018 at 3:15 am

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: